Tuesday, January 27, 2009



Photobucket

I've been lucky in my career as a draftsman to have worked on some interesting projects, and not the least of which was the Carmel Mission Basilica in Carmel, California. In preparation of Pope John Paul II's visit in 1987, when he said Mass and laid a wreath at the grave of Father Junipero Serra, a loft was designed at the rear of the church to support an organ, and I had the distinction of drawing the structural plans for same. It was fascinating working with very old plans--24" thick adobe walls are something I usually don't deal with.

Coincidently, until about 1964, when I was a practicing Catholic and prior to becomming a Baha'i, I used to attend Mass there, and more often than not, I stood at the back of the Basilica beneath the spot the loft would eventually occupy.