Saturday, July 21, 2018

Sketching When Traveling

*
My first experience sketching when traveling was on a trip to Victoria, British Columbia, from Santa Cruz, California via San Jose and Port Angeles, Washington. Using a Tombow brush pen, I sketched with abandon. It was liberating.

At the San Jose airport.









In flight, I sketched some of the mountains in the Cascade Range.

At Sea-Tac.






A few sketches in Port Angeles, as I waited for the Coho ferry to Victoria.

From 'the top of the stairs'.



This is a group of teenage Inuit Alaskan boys on a field trip on the bow of the Coho about mid-way across the Straight of Juan de Fuca.

A crude map of Alaska showing the towns where they were from, and a freighter.




Victoria, British Columbia.

Approaching the harbor at Victoria. We were moving, so I drew these quickly.











Off the boat, I had more time to sketch the Empress Hotel.

Returning to Port Angeles.

Deckhand.


 Port Angeles at the foot of the Olympic Range.


*