Saturday, January 5, 2013



This is my studio, which is also a small part of my small kitchen.  The bright afternoon sun is perfect for any art project.

Here, I was working on a pencil drawing of the prison at Maku.  I see some watercolor paint and my first efforts in oil---I was taking a night class.  How did I have the time to do all that?






Here, the blinds are closed and I was about to 'clean up my space', as Tim Gunn would say.  I was finished working for the afternoon on The Top of the Stairs, an oil painting for my brother.  






That's Art, the monkey, or, "the art monkey" as I'm wont to call him,  who balances a candle on his head. 






Near him, there is a slip of paper on which I have  printed this quote which I read before I begin each project:

 Look thou not upon thine own capability; the invisible divine confirmations are great and the protection and providence of the Beauty of Abha is the helper and the assistant. When a drop draws help from the ocean, it is an ocean in itself, and a little seed, through the outpouring of rain, the favor of the sun and the soul-refreshing breeze, will become a tree with the utmost freshness, full of leaves, blossoms and fruits. Therefore, do not consider thy capacity and merit, but rely upon the infinite bounty and trust to His Highness the Almighty. Do not delay. Undertake soon that which thou art intending.  --Abdu'l-Baha

This is part of a longer quote, addressed to a Japanese Baha'i, which can be read here.

I regret not putting more time into my art. The size of my studio reflects the sophistication of my art, I'm afraid.  Still, I keep at it, slowly.   My goal is to live up to Shoghi Effendi's sentiment that art must inspire--personal satisfaction is not enough.  I have no idea how near or far I am from that goal.




Normally, when I'm not working on a project, the chair is on the left side of the table.  i don't know why I do that.







I bought this figurine in Seaside, Oregon, thinking he'd fit in. Good call!