Friday, June 7, 2013




Art images of the Monterey Bay I've gleaned.



Cowell's, Santa Cruz.  This must have been painted from the wharf. Steamer Lane is to the left, and Indicators on the right.







A poster purchased in one of those shops on the wharf in Monterey in 1969.















I tried to buy this painting on an Ebay auction (FAIL).  It captures a typical late morning in Monterey in the Summer when the fog has almost burned off.  I can hear the seals and smell the sea, and visa versa. It looks about 11:00am, time for my English 101 class (taught by Mrs. Karas) at Monterey Peninsula College.






Here's a sketch at Carmel River State Beach looking north at the outcrop, with Carmel Point (Carmel Bay beyond) and Pebble Beach.








Paintings by S.C. Yuan.





I hadn't noticed the subtle treatment of El Gabilan before editing this post. 






This is the only painting I've seen by Thomas Kinkade  that I believe honestly captures genius loci. 


Lover's Point





I sketched this sitting on a bench on a nice afternoon in Pacific Grove.  There was a moderate swell.  El Gabilan (Fremont's Peak) is in the upper left.






 I'm sure I'll add more images to this post.  The Monterey Bay has inspired thousands upon thousands of artists.


Moss Landing needs to be represented.