Thursday, December 19, 2013

Old Man at the Door



OLD MAN AT THE DOOR


An old man came to the door just now asking directions.  He was  at least 75--probably closer to 80--and seemed more confused than just needing direction.  I would say dementia is not far off.  He was driving a nice Jag, and he was dressed smartly.  He couldn't tell me an exact address of where he was going, just the general location of a home which he used to own and from where he knew how to get to his ultimate destination---or so he said.

We first looked at a map, and then I used Google Street View and "drove around"  general neighborhoods until he recognized landmarks and eventually his old house.  I drew a map for him to take with him, and happily, the route was simple.

I asked him what he had done for a living, and it turns out he was a Navy pilot, at least for a time.  He was stationed in Pensacola, Florida, in the early 1960's, and flew a Grumman S-2 Tracker.  His face brightened when I brought up a page of images on my computer screen!




Later, he was the commanding officer of a squadron of  T-28 Trojans, and trained pilots to land on aircraft carriers.  He had 175 carrier landings himself.




He pronounced one word with a southern accent, and I asked where he was from.  He was raised in West Virginia, and his name was Sam.



It was a great chance meeting of an interesting man whose life was well lived.